Supported Operating Systems
Desktop Presenter and LightLink Supervisor support the English-US language packs only for the following operating systems:
- Windows 8 Professional
- Windows 10 Professional
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows 11 Professional
LightLink Middleware supports the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
The ININ CIC 4.0 Data Source Manager supports only Windows Server 2008 R2.
Note: LightLink is supported on 32-bit systems and 64-bit “x64” systems but not on 64-bit “Itanium (i64)” systems.
LightLink Middleware works with SQL Server 2005, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2019. Microsoft SQL Server Express is sufficient for LightLink purposes; all other editions of SQL Server also work. LightLink is compatible with 32-bit versions and 64-bit versions of SQL Server. When using SQL Server 2005, 64-bit platforms require SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 or newer.
Additional notes for LightLink Middleware Installation: Microsoft SQL Server is required for LightLink Middleware configurations; the database need not be installed prior to the LightLink middleware install but it must be present when running the LightLink Database Connection Manager. Secondary Middleware servers use the same database associated with the primary server. Microsoft SQL Server Express is sufficient for LightLink purposes; all other editions of SQL Server also work.
- A SQL Server 2012 Express install tailored to work with LightLink Middleware is provided with the Inova Solutions Instance Installer. Use of any other version of SQL Server requires a manual installation and setup, as described in Appendix B of the Middleware Installation Guide.
- Note: LightLink is compatible with 32-bit versions and 64-bit versions of SQL Server.
- Note: When using SQL Server 2005, 64-bit platforms require SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 or newer.
Minimum hardware requirements are a modern Intel or AMD processor (Intel Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7, 2.4 GHz or higher, or AMD Phenom II or better) with at least 8 Gigabytes of RAM.
Supervisor and Middleware require at least 20 Gigabytes of available hard drive space.
LightLink Middleware additionally requires virtualization with VMware Server (add 35% CPU capacity). Add additional CPU, memory, and hard drive capacity when installing additional Inova Solutions products on the LightLink Middleware server.
Desktop Presenter and LightLink Middleware: Windows Installer 4.5 or later is required for running the Inova Solutions Desktop Presenter installer, the Inova Solutions Instance installer, and the LightLink Middleware installer.
Supervisor: Windows Installer version 3.1 or later is required for running the LightLink Supervisor installer. If the target host on which the installer is to be run has Windows Installer 2.0, the installer will automatically upgrade it to Windows Installer 3.1.
Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
Desktop Presenter: The Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable is required for running the Desktop Presenter .
- In interactive mode, the 2010 C++ Redistributable installs automatically.
- In silent mode, you must explicitly install the C++ redistributable on the target machine before the Desktop Presenter install is invoked. The required files are installed by running the installer, vcredist_x86.exe; a version is available with the LightLink Installation distribution (version 10.0.30319); newer versions of the C++ 2010 Redistributable also satisfy the requirement.
Supervisor and LightLink Middleware:
- Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2005 - The Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables need to be installed prior to running the LightLink Supervisor installer when it is run in silent mode. The required files are installed by running the installer, vcredist_x86.exe; the correct version (8.0.59193) is available with the LightLink Installation distribution. This file should be pushed to the target machine and installed before the LightLink Supervisor install is invoked in silent mode.
- Visual Studio C++ Redistributable 2010 - The Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables for 2010 need to be installed prior to running the LightLink Supervisor installer. The required files are installed by running the installer, vcredist_vs2010.exe; the correct version is available with the LightLink Installation distribution (version 10.0.30319.01). This prerequisite must be installed on the target machine before starting the installation in either interactive or silent mode.
Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft .NET Framework versions 2 and 4 are required for running the LightLink Supervisor and Middleware applications. (NET 2 is included in NET 3.5.)
Inova LightLink License Key
A valid Inova LightLink License Key is required for the LightLink Middleware installation; it must be provided for a Primary Server install. Contact Inova Solutions if you do not have a valid LightLink License Key. The License Key can be entered manually during an interactive install, but must be provided in a specific file existing in a specific location for a silent install. For Secondary Server installs it is not required; they obtain the license key from the configuration database when the LightLink Database Connection Manager is run. (Another reason why you MUST run the Connection Manager on the Primary Server first!)